Saturday, March 1, 2014

Yummy Layer Bars #betterwithmms

My Aunt D is an amazing cook and baker, so when I needed a foolproof recipe for a work potluck (everyone asked me to bring the dessert) I decided to whip up her Layer Bars.  Some people in the South call these Hello Dollies, but they're basically a layered concoction that you simply bake.  To shake it up, I used Mini M&Ms instead of chocolate chips, because everything's better with M&Ms!
These were devoured.  Good thing I took a photo!
Yummy Layer Bars
Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup Mini M&Ms
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
Directions:
  • Heat the oven to 350*F.  Put the butter into a 13x9 baking dish and place it in the oven until the butter melts.  (Note: you can also line it with parchment paper, but the melted butter needs to coat the bottom of the layers.)
  • Swirl the melted butter around to coat the bottom of the dish.  Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the top, covering the bottom of the dish.
  • Mix the chips and M&Ms, and create a new layer with them.
  • Use the whole can of condensed milk over the top, trying to cover the entire mixture.  (Note: I didn't do a good job of this, hence the way my edges turned out.  It's sticky, but TRY!)
  • Bake 25-30 minutes.
Yeah, it's that easy.  Traditional variations add a cut of chopped nuts to the mix, or add a top layer of shredded coconut.  For work, I skipped coconut and nuts because that can be polarizing.  ALL of the bars were devoured.  They're so rich, I cut them into small squares and everyone enjoyed them that way.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...