Thursday, November 28, 2013

30 Days of Thankful

I've been posting these a few at a time on my personal Facebook page, but decided that it would be worth sharing too.  After all, it's not happy people that are thankful, but thankful people that are happy!  Even though it's the 28th, I'm posting all thirty on Thanksgiving Day.


I am thankful for...
  1. ...my wonderful partner who knows when I need a hug or tomato soup. Also knows when that tomato soup requires a breadbowl.
  2. ...the wonderful ladies I met at the DAR Juniors Retreat this weekend, who reminded me of the importance of sisterhood.
  3. ...the same-sex couples who broke down barriers in the past year to be married at our alma mater, West Point. So proud to KNOW these trailblazers! Love is love is love.
  4. ...Weight Watchers and WW coworkers, which have helped me hit 10 lbs. lost this year from my highest. I had to find a belt today because my (fairly new) pants are falling down.
  5. ...my awesome job.  Sure, it keeps me very busy, and sometimes it's very stressful... but it is a great place to work, a good living, and someplace I don't want to leave anytime soon.
  6. ...Franklin, Tennessee.  I seriously love this town.  It's the first place I've lived as an adult that I feel is home, and I haven't even been here two years.
  7. ...my parents.  My Mom sent me a note the other day, about how someone she knew just lost their newborn baby.  She told me how thankful she was to see us grow into adults... but I'm thankful that I've had my parents with me as I've grown.
  8. ...Wolf Bear.  He is the devil and an angel in one, but it's so nice to have someone greet me at the door every day, get so excited just because I woke up, and be the best snuggle buddy!
  9. ...cool weather so I can finally wear my favorite boots.  I'm beginning to think fall weather really is my absolute favorite.
  10. ...my friends.  Whether long distance or local, I am proud to have such a diverse group of people to call my tribe.  It also makes me feel special to always have a full dance card when I can steal away from work/school.  I'm not the most naturally social person; my chatterbox nature is more of a nervous reflex.  I'm glad to have found people who understand that!
  11. ...The 11th was Veterans Day, and it made me thankful for all those who served before me, with me, and will serve after me.  We alone know what we've been through.
  12. ...blogging.  I know, dorky.  But the hour or so a week that I spend writing and maintaining my little corner of the Internet is cathartic and fun.  It's a nice escape and place to get my thoughts out.
  13. ...my maids.  Seriously, I think I have to thank them every year, for cleaning my bathrooms and kitchen.  I just don't get to it, and those twice-monthly visits are the best days to come home from work because the apartment SPARKLES.
  14. ...Honeycrisp apples.  They are my favorite part of fall, and I'm thankful these delicious miracles exist to help me eat healthier.
  15. ...laughter.  The sound of it, the people who make me laugh, the things that make me laugh...  We all need to be glass half full and spend more time laughing in general.
  16. ...Beer.  Because it makes Dan happy, pays the bills, and is a really fun industry to be a peripheral part of.  I have to admit, it's better than I thought it was. :)
  17. ...my sister, who I take for granted and who apparently wanted to appear earlier in this list!  She may be far away, but she is an important part of my life.  I am thankful that we can both be so very different but come back to the same love of family.
  18. ...my MBA classmates, who help answer my questions, support me, and make classes more engaging and fun.  I have two specific buddies from my case study group in August that help me a ton, and I really appreciate them!
  19. ...Asheville, North Carolina.  Duke and I have been there together twice now, and between the Biltmore, craft beers/breweries, and amazing restaurants, it's our special getaway together.
  20. ... Kaelah and Mike at Him & Honey Photo, good local friends who helped us take the photos that we ended up putting on our Christmas card!  It's so hard to get photos of us as a couple, and this couple uses real film to capture those moments.  Love it.
  21. ...Minted, for once again helping us put together a holiday card that we love.  Their graphic designers actually helped edit the template to make it more fitting to us, and they are so responsive.
  22. ...good health.  I just am, and rightly so.
  23. ...Facebook, and I'm not embarrassed about it.  I love connecting and reconnecting with people, and even this imperfect social medium is a fantastic way to do it.
  24. ...my friends who still serve in the military.  I'm happy my military time is over, but I still worry about the safety of my friends.
  25. ...pumpkin pie.  Because it reminds me of Grandma.
  26. ...growing up.  It's a privilege to grow older, never a given.  Each year that passes I feel a little bit closer to liking myself, and a little bit closer to understanding what drives me and where I want to be.
  27. ...things.  Things are not important, but the more I see of the world, the more I realize I absolutely take for granted.  So I am thankful for the things that give me the comfortable life that I have.  Things like a car, air conditioning/heat, a refrigerator, electricity, even TV... because others go without so much.
  28. ...Apple.  Because I'm an Apple addict, and their stuff just makes me happy and makes sense.  Thanks for a great user interface!
  29. ...vacation days.  It's a luxury many don't get, and they keep me sane.
  30. ...being closer to home.  It's the first time in a decade that I've been driving distance from my parents, and I try my best to take advantage of it.  Very excited to be home with them for this holiday.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...