Monday, May 13, 2013

Phoenix

I'm spending a full week in Arizona, for a combo of work and play!  I have work in Tucson, but I'm spending the weekends with my sister in Phoenix.  How convenient to be able to maximize a nearly 4-hour flight from Nashville, eh?


My first day in Phoenix was a fun afternoon and evening with my sister.  I got to see her new apartment (awesome architecture in a very retro style, in the Arcadia area) and then have a sister date of dinner and a movie.

Sissy eats much healthier than me, so she thought that Fox Restaurant Concept's True Food Kitchen would be a good middle ground for us.  She was spot-on!

I think True Food is the perfect mix of a healthy-ish meal with foodie flair.  It's not just for yogis, and I really think everyone can find something yummy.  I drank the Honey Lemonade, which was so refreshing after my long flight!  We ate outside on the terrace so I could enjoy the weather.


We kicked off our meal with Shiitake & Tofu Lettuce Cups.  This is not something I would normally order, but I found them to be very flavorful.  The filling was warm, a little nuttier than I prefer, but good!


For my main dish, I had the Turkey Lasagna (Sissy had a delish Spaghetti Squash Casserole) and LOVED it.  It was very hot coming out of the oven, but it was soooo good.  The portion was perfect, and the green spinach noodles and fresh ricotta were awesome.  I ate every bit.  And scraped the dish for sauce and cheese after.  Yum.
True Food Kitchen on Urbanspoon

We also stopped by Julia Baker for a red velvet cake truffle.  I'd had one on a previous trip to Arizona, so we had to indulge!  I also bought some Queen Creek Olive Oil (with Meyer Lemon!) that will be perfect for dipping bread.   I love foodie items as souvenirs.

To finish off the night, we went to see The Great Gatsby.  It was definitely visually impressive, and true to the spirit of the book.   I felt the actors were well-cast too.  Go Baz Luhrmann!  Not the greatest movie of the year (go see 42!) but worth seeing.  But for me, the movie theater stole the show.  It was one with assigned seating and full service waiters to bring you food and drinks.  Awesome.  I want one.  Stat.

I'm just so glad I could spend some time with Sissy... we've lived so far apart for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...