Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sarah Polk & the DAR

I've been working on my application to join the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the local chapter has welcomed me with open arms!  Recently, they invited me to visit the James K. Polk Ancestral Home to celebrate the opening of a new exhibit about First Lady Sarah Polk at the nearby Polk Presidential Hall.

It was a great event in the courtyard, with the First Lady of Tennessee (Crissy Haslam) giving the keynote.  I met up with KD and SM, two ladies I'd met at a previous meeting, and really enjoyed the evening.  There were some great folks, and I loved the house and exhibits.  We got to explore as much as we wanted, and it was great!  I love history and historic homes.

It's definitely worthwhile to stop in Columbia if you're ever on a historic site tour in Tennessee.  That plus the other nearby sites in Murfreesboro and Franklin are perfect if you have the history bug!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...